Genetic counseling provides support to people who have or may be at risk for genetic disorders. There are many reasons to seek genetic counseling.
Genetic counseling provides information and support to people who have, or may be at risk for, genetic disorders. A genetic counselor meets with you to discuss genetic risks. The counseling may be for yourself or a family member. Or you may get it when you are planning or expecting a baby. You may follow up with genetic testing.
There are many reasons to seek genetic counseling. You may consider it if you
- Have a personal or family history of a genetic condition or birth defect
- Are pregnant or planning to be pregnant after age 35
- Already have a child with a genetic disorder or birth defect
- Have had two or more pregnancy losses or a baby who died
- Have had ultrasound or screening tests that suggest a possible problem
Genetics Home Reference